- One 8-ounce, ¾-inch-thick swordfish steak, skin and bloodline removed
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted, and diced
- 1 tablespoon very finely diced red onion
- 1 tablespoon very finely diced red bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon very finely diced serrano pepper
- 4 tablespoons rice-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon sambal oelek
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 4 ounces fresh shelled crabmeat
Build a charcoal fire under a grill and let the flames die out.
Season the swordfish with salt and pepper, to taste, and brush lightly on both sides with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Grill the swordfish 4 minutes on each side for medium to medium-rare.
In a bowl, combine the avocado, onion, peppers, vinegar, lime juice, sambal, cilantro, and remaining olive oil. Season with salt, to taste. Place the swordfish in the center of a plate. Top with the avocado mixture and place the fresh crab on top of the avocado mixture. Serve immediately.