1 ripe avocado, pitted
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh tarragon
- 24 toasted cocktail-size slices pumpernickel bread or melba toasts
- 2 ounces smoked salmon, cut into 24 pieces
- 1 teaspoon coarse Maldon sea salt
- Fresh tarragon sprigs, capers, sliced cornichons or olives, poppy or sesame seeds, lemon zest and/or red onion for garnish
- Mash avocado with lemon juice and tarragon in a bowl. Spread about 1 teaspoon of the mixture on each piece of bread (or toast). Top with salmon and sprinkle with salt. Garnish as desired.